Submit a blog or vlog
On average, human-interest stories perform six times better than other content on our social media channels. Staff blogs and vlogs are a great way of sharing your story, bringing a human angle to a research project, a volunteering opportunity, or a day in your working life. Read on to find out more about submitting a blog or vlog.
Please contact your Marketing Business Partner if you’d like to talk about your vlog or blog post in more detail or when you’re ready to submit your content.
- Arts and Humanities: [email protected]
- Business: [email protected]
- Colleges, Professional Services & WSE: [email protected]
- Science: [email protected]
- Social Sciences and Health: [email protected]
- Word count: Your blog post should be at least 300 words long, and no more than 2,100 words for more in-depth topics.
- Links: Please include relevant links at the end of your blog post. This may be to your department / College / research institute web pages or relevant social media accounts.
- Images: Engaging pictures help to bring your blog post to life. When you’re thinking about writing a blog piece, please also consider the imagery you will use to support it.
- Writing style: We’re looking for human interest stories and personal experiences, don’t be afraid to let your personality show.
- Write in the first person, as if you’re talking to a colleague and always use plain English.
- Write in short paragraphs, two or three sentences, and break up longer blog posts with subheadings.
- Video length: Vlogs should be up to 3 minutes long.
- Video style: Film the video as through you’re talking to a colleague and don’t be afraid to let your personality show.
- Make sure the sound quality on the video is good so the audience can hear you and caption your video.
Successful blog posts and vlogs will be published on the Durham University website and promoted via our social media channels. Please consider copyright implications when you’re sharing images, music etc. We will not publish any material that others may find inappropriate / offensive.
Visit our social media channels to see examples of previous blog and vlog posts.